Today's podcast guest is a guy who regularly hits 180 mph on his motorcycle without flinching.
If you follow the road racing circuit, you'll probably recognize him as a living legend. His name is Eric Bostrom. His brother Ben Bostrom is also a champion road racer.
(Anyone else wondering if they race to see who carves the family turkey?)
He's been riding with his brother since they were kids hanging around their parents' motorcycle dealership. Racing as a family may sound cool. But it can be scary.
Like the time Eric watched his brother crash right in front of him (14:43):
Here's some of his best stories and insights from on and off the track:
- How he started racing professionally even though he could barely afford the gas.
- His secret to great hair and looking like a "real-life Wolverine" at age 43.
- Why he keeps racing even after he's broken over 50 bones (maybe even 100).
- The reason he created the Backmate and raised over $148,000 on Kickstarter.
- The moment he knew he "made it" by racing on the same team as his hero, Doug Chandler.
His whole episode is live on all these podcast sites now:
There were two things that Eric shared this week that really stuck out to me...
First, you never feel like you've ever really "made it."
I still feel starstruck when big name influencers come up to me and know who I am ('you're the guy who owns Pack Animal!'). I don't think that ever goes away.
Second, there's nothing wrong with letting your life change course.
Eric thought he'd be racing until he was grey. I thought I was going to be a stand up comic. You never know when inspiration might strike and take you on an unexpected adventure.
As long as you're having fun, you might wanna explore it.
Dave and Team Pack Animal